Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Newfound Hidden Gem

Ok confession time: I'm a sucker for chick-lit. But good, clean romance novels are hard to find. Especially ones that are well written. And then I discovered "My Girlfriend's Boyfriend." And I fell in love.
The title itself is promising. If you are into romance as well then you can tell by the title and the cover whether or not this book is worth your time. I wasn't so crazy about the title at first but I am in love with the cover. Two hot guys and a funky heroine? Yes please.
Now the title itself may deter you. You might say to yourself, "Why would I want to read about a girl who falls in love with two guys at the same time? It's Twilight all over again!" Trust me when I say that this is no Twilight. It's much better. And there are plenty of surprises that will catch you way off guard!

Let's talk about the story itself. This story is about a girl , Jesse, caught in a huge rut. She just went through a very rough divorce after her ex-husband bailed out on their marriage deciding she just wasn't the right girl. So that kind of causes her to lose confidence in herself and in guys in general. Until by chance she meets Ethan.... and moments later meets Troy. And goes on a bunch of dates with both guys where a bunch of hillarious mishaps occur that left me literally laughing out loud! And then Jesse has to make a choice. What will her decision be? Dun dun dun..... 
*Note: There is a surprise ending that shocked me. I never saw it coming but I loved it. I love books that surprise me.

Now let's talk about the characters: 
Jesse is a fun hippie-chick who thinks musicals and creamsicles are the cure to everything. She tries to find something to celebrate every day (There is a national potato chip day? Who knew?) A very fun, quirky character
And then there is her wacky cousin Laurel whose hobbies are shopping for designer handbags and helping her social-misfit cousin understand the importance of make-up that doesn't come from the drug store. She gets Jesse into some pretty crazy situations and was just a fun addition to the story. She added so much more.
There's also Jesse's sweet, loving brother David who spends his time hiding from fans of the commercial he never wanted to star in. The love and concern he shows for her and the ways he tries to help her learn and grow and move on from her past were very touching.
And then of course there are the two leading men:
Ethan, an aspiring writer who just can't seem to get his work published. He's the typical good guy that his publishers tell him "In real life girls end up settling for nice guys like you all the time." But I liked reading about him and I certainly fell for him.
And then there's Troy, the typical leading man you find in most romances: Tall, tan, handsome, wealthy, perfect. 

I'll admit that along with Jesse, I fell in love twice.
This book is based on the movie, but in my personal opinion the book is way better. There is just so much more depth to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment